If I’m currently a student in the US planning on marrying my 2 year girlfriend, should I wait until I finish college, start working before I get married or go ahead and marry?

I don’t know what the best legal move is.

Asked on December 6, 2013 under Immigration Law, Georgia


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. The choice is yours. I would need more information about your financial status. Can you she financially support you on the immigration? If not, you may need a joint sponsor. You may also help support yourself if you have lawful employment (OPT). YOu can get a work permit based on your marriage after 3 months. Feel free to contact me with more details. [email protected] 

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you want your presumed non-American girlfriend to gain immediate resodency then you marry her and go through the application process. However, from a practical matter, it makies sense to complete your college education first before you go ahead and marry her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.