If I’m co-executor of my mom’s estate and conservator for my brother, do I have to have good credit to open a special trust fund?

Asked on December 3, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No. I am assuming you are considering a trust fund for your brother. If the trust fund is to receive funds from your mom's estate, then your own credit has nothing to do with the contemplated trust fund. However, if their is money due from your mother's estate for your brother, consider the iuse of a special needs trust to receive the funds, in conjunction with the account to be set up for your brother. Obtain a probate attorney versed in estate planning and the use of special needs trust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.