If I’m Canadian, after I get married to my US citizen finace, how long can we wait before we begin my residency/citizenship application process?

Will there be any penalties?

Asked on December 12, 2015 under Immigration Law, Missouri


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can start the process as soon as you are legally married.  Are you in the US currently?  If so, when did you enter the US and how long after your entry did you get married? Where did the marriage take place?  Where is the US citizen spouse currently residing?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.