What to do if I’m being told that my homeowners insurance does not cover damage to a vehicle from a tree on my property?

We had a large limb fall and hit a used car we had just purchased. The limb fell due to heavy snow and ice from last weekends storm. My homeowners insurance company said this would fall under my auto policy under comprehensive. I did not have this coverage due to the age of the vehicle. Homeowners and auto policies are with 2 different companies. I’m confused on why this is not covered by the homeowner policy. If the vehicle would have been someone else’s and the damaged occurred to it on my property wouldn’t the homeowners cover that?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your being caught in this insurance "catch 22" as we can call it. But unfortunately you may be out of luck here.  It is generally true that homeowners insurance does not cover damage to a car caused by a falling limb, just the scenario that you claim here.   The homeowners policy probably states that and you need to read it very carefully.  I would also read it with an eye toward finding any provision that may give you coverage in the event other coverage -like comprehensive - is not available.  But I do not have much faith that one exists in the policy.  I would also contact your state Department of Insurance to discuss the issue with them and see about any options they may have for you.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.