If I’m being punished at work for having a conflict with an employee that I live with and the conflict had nothing to do with work, is this legal?

My roommate (who I also work with) and I got into a dispute at my house due to the fact she didn’t pick up her dogs droppings. My boyfriend and I had asked her the day before to pick it up so that our friends wouldn’t step in it at our BBQ. The police were called and statements were taken. However, now she has come to work saying that I fought her because a work related issue and she is also accusing me of stealing from work too. Both of these statement are false. What steps should be taken next?

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

1) If you do not have an employment contract, you are an employee at will, and may be disciplined (up to and including termination) for any reason, at any time--including for a non-work-related coonflict with another employee. Employers also do not have to verify the truth of any reasons or grounds for taking action.

2) If the co-worker/roommate knowingly or intentionally made untrue factual statements about you which damage your reputation--such as claiming that you stole, when you did not--then you may be able to sue her for defamation. Only untrue negative facts are potentially defamation: true facts or opinions, no matter how negative, do not give rise to a cause of action. If you think you may have been defamed, consult with a personal injury attorney to explore your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.