If I’m being investigated for a crime which I didn’t commit, what should I do if the police have advised me against getting a lawyer?

Instead they just want me to take a polygraph test?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, Oregon


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No disrepect to the police.... but if they are encouraging you not to get one... then you probably do need an attorney.  Even though polygraph results are not generally admissible in court, any statements that you make before, during, or after are admissible and could be used against you.  A better approach is to take the polygraph, but hire an attorney to be present with you when you take the polygraph exam.  With this, you can take the poly, but still have your rights protected.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.