What canI do if I’m being evicted for having a dispute with my landladyand have been served with a notice to vacate?

My landlady is my cousin and takes liberties with me that I know are not legal (e.g. showing up at my door without the proper notification). Anytime I challenge her, she explodes and threatens to evict me. I’ve passed all inspections for over a year, paid my rent on time, and have been a good tenant. We were close until she verbally abused my 9-year old niece, showed up unannounced to clean junk left by the previous tenants, and left a mess in my driveway. We had words. Now she’s evicting me, even though I just re-newed my lease last month. The judge I must go in front of is pals with her. How do I get an impartial judge to hear my case?

Asked on March 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You are going to have to fork over some money and get an attorney here to make sure that your rights are protected.  A Judge that knows one of the parties to the litigation on a personal basis needs to recuse  themselves - step down as the judge from hearing and deciding the matter - so as not to give an "appearance of impropriety" in the case.  Your attorney needs to request that on the record - i.e., with a court reporter present - so that should the decision come out that is contrary to the law you would have additional basis for the appeal.  Now, if you have binding contract - a valid lease - then eviction could only be for breach of the lease agreement or a breach interpreted under the law.  Get help.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.