What to do if I’m being charged with shoplifting in the first degree and have never been in any kind of trouble before?

I was arrested on Saturday, I spent the night in jail, over a stupid $15 necklace. I didn’t leave the store, I was just walking around with it. I wont lie, I thought about, I did. I’m 23, I should know better, I had it in my pocket. I didn’t leave. They tapped me on the shoulder asked me were it was I gave it back, they didn’t lose any money. I offered to pay for it, plus another one to cover any losses they may have had. They said no and have me arrested. I’ve never done anything like this before. I’m a business major; I’m trying to start a business; I can’t have a record.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have been arrested for shoplifting and have an upcoming court hearing, you really should consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent you in this matter.

You have plans on starting a business and the last thing you need is a criminal conviction if you can help it for the charge that you are presently facing. Potentially the retention of a criminal defense attorney may assist in resolving the charges against you where the result would be court probation and if successful, the charge could be dismissed.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.