If I’m a US citizen and my fiance is Taiwanese and lives in Taiwan, since we’re thinking about getting married and living together in the US what’s the best/fastest way to get him here legally?

Preferably with a working/travel permit. Should we get married first and apply for CR-1 for him or should I file K-1 for him and get married after he entered the states?

Asked on February 4, 2013 under Immigration Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Well, in a CR-1, the applicant cannot enter the U.S. while the application is being processed. This is at least my understanding. If your concern is being separated this is something to take into consideration.  The processing time is shorter than the K1.  In a K1, there are travel limitations and applications that need to file and everything is subject to timing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.