If I’m an international student from Saudi Arabia, am I eligible for a green card?

I’ve been here in the United States for 8 years as a student. I hold 2 master degrees from American universities and now I am doing a PhD in economics.

Asked on August 12, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You are not eligible for a green card simply because you have been here for a long time or because you have been a student.  You still have to be petitioned for a green card by either a qualified family relation (child, parent, sibling or spouse/fiancee) or by a US employer on the basis of a valid job offer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.