I’m a tenant, how do I find out if the home I’m renting is in foreclosure?

My landlord is very unscrupulous. How do I find out if this house is in foreclosure? My husband works for him so instead of paying him, the landlord claims he’s applying his wages to the rent. Because of this we cannot pay our other bills and we were just told by his pool service that the house may be in foreclosure.

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

1) The landlord/employer does NOT have the right to apply your husband's wages to the rent unless your husband agreed to allow him to do so. If your husband did not, he may sue to recover his wages and for any other costs, losses, or damages he suffered due to the unlawful withholding.

2) Foreclosure filings are public documents; if a foreclosure action has been filed, you should be able to find out through the courts. Call your local courts (or go in person; or go to their website) to see how you would do this.

3) However, if foreclosure has not yet been filed--so, say your landlord is late on or in default of his mortgage, but there has been no action taken yet--you will not be able to find out the status, since there would not yet be any public filings.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.