If I’m a 16 year old male and got caught shoplifting, can I get the offense taken away since I’m a first-time offender?

Asked on December 2, 2013 under Criminal Law, Montana


Stacey Schlimmer / Schlimmer Law, LLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Depending on the court's policies in your City and State, a Diversion Program may be offered.  Again, this will vary by court, but typically you can apply for Diversion on a minor, first time offense - like your theft charge. Diversion may require that you pay a fine, take educational courses, perform community service, submit to drug testing and counseling, etc.  If you agree to their terms, and admit guilt and remorse for your action, they may grant you a term of diversion.  Once you SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE your term of diversion, the prosecutor will typically dismiss the charges. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.