What to do if I’m a photographer and I had a photo taken from my facebook page, edited without permission and used for someone’s business?

The only rights I’d ever given to the people who took it were to ‘share’ it on facebook. I filed a DMCA with facebook to have it removed they had removed my signature from the image and they filed back saying they had permission to use it. I posted a bit of a warning to my photographer friends using their name and showing a copy of the edited photo on my personal facebook page, and now the people’s lawyer has sent me 2 letters saying if I don’t retract my statement and apologize he will advise them to proceed with a defamation lawsuit. Do they have a case?

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Personal Injury, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It's only defamation if it's not true.  So if you are posting that some other business took your product and edited it without permission-- and those facts are true.... then they will not prevail in a defamation suit-- because truth is a defense to defamation.  However, even if you have a defense, it doesn't mean that it will keep them from filing the suit.  Many lawsuits are filed each year that are completely without merit.  The two letters seem to be a company/attorney trying to intimidate you.  Consider reverse intimidation-- hire an attorney for the limited purpose of preparing a reply asserting your defense.  If they think and know that you also have access to legal support, they may be less inclined to go forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.