If my husband and I live in a community property state, how can we buy a home together without leaving myself open to claims that may be filed by his children after his death?

My husband has children from a previous marriage and his ex remarried an attorney. My husband and I would like to buy a home together, however, I’m concerned that by combining my separate property with his into a community property home, I’m leaving myself open to claims filed by his children against our home. Is there any way for me to protect my interests? Would Joint Tenancy with the Right of Survivorship hold up?

Asked on March 25, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Please, please, please go and speak with an attorney that does estate planning.  First of all, children do not have an absolute right to inherit.  Only a spouse has that right.  And anything jointly owned with rights of survivorship - which is how married couples own things - passes one to the ther at the time of the death of one of the spouses.  But it does not mean the kids won't try and file something saying you unduly influenced Dad in some way.  But each situation is different so please go and see a planner and ask what the ramifications are to you to combine separate property - which becomes joint property - one you co mingle.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.