If I’m a legal heir but the courthouse has not made known who the personal representative is, even after more than a month of the hearing date, what should I do?

Thus far all requests to be informed of the status of the estate have not been answered.

Asked on April 29, 2014 under Estate Planning, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can go to the court and ask the court clerk to let you see the file.  You will need the case number in order to ask the court clerk for the file.  If you don't know the case number, you can look for the name of the case in the court's computer to obtain the case number.

You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy the file or the part of the file you need.  Since you are just looking for the name of the personal representative, you might not even need to have the file photocopied.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The best way to ascertain the status as to who the representative for the estate that you are writing about is to go down to the court house and pull the file to see if one has been assigned to date. If not, you need to file a request with the court for all notices to be sent to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.