If I’m a landlord of a property but living out of state and need to escrow a security deposit, where do I do it?

Do I need to escrow it where the property is located or can I escrow it in my home state? If I need to do it where the property is, can I ask a friend living there to open a security deposit/escrow account for the tenant in their name? Can you advise the best course of action?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From a practical matter since the rental is located in a state different than where you reside, I suggest that the escrow account for the tenant's security deposit be opened in your name and not a friend's on behalf of the tenant in a financial institution in the town/city where the rental that the security deposit is for is located.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.