If I’m a freelance programmer working from my home in Bulgaria but a US customer has not paid me, do I have to go to US to file a suit or is there an easier way?

I did a project for a small US firm and sent a invoice for completed jobs in the amount of 6K yet they refuse to pay. I want to sue them; where do I file? Do I file the suite in a state, federal or municipal court? As they accepted the invoice couple times before, can I use it as an evidence?

Asked on October 15, 2014 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) You can file a suit in state court for the state in which the customer is located. That is the only appropriate court under U.S. law. (As to whether you can sue him in Bulgaria under Bulgarian law, you'll need to check with a Bulgarian attorney.)

2) The documents you describe are certainly helpful, but if the case goes to trial, you'd have to appear in the American court. Documents cannot be submitted on their own as the only evidence; there must be live witness testimony, in court, to authenticate them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.