IfI’m 18 years old nd plead no contest to a marijuana posession infraction, what are the consequences?

A group of us were at the beach. Since I was sitting near a bag where the marijuana was found and nobody admitted to owning the bag. I received a citation for an infraction and now I have to appear in front of a judge to enter a plea.

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


V. Iyer / Iyer Law Office, LLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Mr. Norris is right . In colorado you may also lose your driver's license for a time.

It is not the penalty you pay now but the other consequences upon conviction of this crime. Further in Colorado the criminal record could stay forever and does not go away after some time. In Colorado it is not automatic that your criminal record will be cleared of this criminal record. Contact a criminal defesne lawyer. All the Best.

Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A court could conclude that you had "constructive possession" of the bag since it was right next to you.  However, constructive possession is kind of hard to prove.  It is probably in your best interest to fight the infraction.

There can be many consequences to pleading no contest.  You may lose eligibility to receive student loans from the federal government forever.  Employers may be reluctant to hire you.

You should hire a local criminal defense attorney and fight it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.