What to do if I’m no longer living with my mother but she still recieves child support for me?

I’m 17, in my last year of high school and turning 18 in 2 weeks. I don’t have a job. About 3 months ago, I moved out of my mother’s house due to family problems and a now currently living at my aunt’s house. My mother is receiving child support checks from my father, but doesn’t give my aunt or me much money, just about $100 every month maybe less. I feel like this is unfair considering my dad gives my mom a $1000 every month and it frustrates me that my aunt isn’t receiving the money she deserves, while my mom is using my child support to pay for bills in a house that I no longer reside in and supports my older siblings.

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your father can file a request for order asking the cour to modify the child support order since you are not living with your mother.  The court should modify the child support to $0 if you aren't living there at all. 

Let your parents deal with these issues--you shouldn't bear the stress of this situation.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you contact your father about the situation that you have written about. He is under a court order to pay child support for you to a certain point in time.

Given what you have written, he needs to get a signed agreement from your mother that monthly child support checks go to you directly and if not, he needs to file a motion with the court seeking an order allowing such direct payments to you since you will be an adult in two (2) weeks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.