What to do if I’m 17 and I live with my father who is threatening and emotionally abusing me?

He has told me to kill myself. He has also said this to my 19 year old boyfriend. He has kicked me out twice but he made me come back. I need to get out of this environment. I have no job.

Asked on December 20, 2012 under Family Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given the situation that you are in which is unhealthy you should consult with a teacher at school as well as a representative with your local social services department to see what your options are. Assuming there is another trusted family member near you, you should see about moving in with him or her until you reach 18 years of age and complete your senior year in high school.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.