If I’m 15 and I live with my mom but would like to live with my aunt, is there any possible way I could even if my mom doesn’t agree?

My mom forced me to move an hour away from my hometown to live with her new boyfriend. I don’t like him at all. He’s changed my mom in so many ways and she’s not the type of person I want to be around anymore. She’s a complete liar and fake, just like him. I tried to keep her from turning into this but she’d just threaten to ground me every time I gave my opinion on how I felt about this. I don’t like fighting and arguing every single day. It’s not healthy; I feel like that’s all my life consists of now. I want to move back home with my aunt.

Asked on March 21, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  You sound like a relally level headed kid.  But the reality is that your mother is your guardian under the law and she either has to consent to your living with your aunt- and there is paperwork that should be signed in case there are emergency decisions that need to be made - or your aunt can ask the court to appoint her as guardian.  Decisions are made in the best interest of the child.  Not liking her boyfriend is not enough.  Is there some one in your family that you and your mom can speak with to try and work this out in any way?  Try.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.