If I lost my last court case and am sending payments to the plantiffs, is my payment method going to hold up in court?

I lost my court case regarding a renters’ dispute, and am now sending payment contracts to the Plantiffs. I’ve sent 2 drafts of a payment contract, stating that I will be paying over 2/3 of my monthly paycheck to them. These payments will be sent once a month until the amount is paid off. The plantiffs, however, have said these contracts are not good enough and have even attempted to add compound interest onto the contract, which was not ordered by the court. I have now resorted to making $50 monthly payments, they are just not accepting it. Will my payment method hold up in court if they sue?

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Read the court order.  Some court order require specific payment methods such as cash or money order.  Some orders grant prejudgment interest at 10% (the maximum legal rate).  I am not sure how $50/month is equal to 2/3 of your monthly paycheck.  In addition 2/3 of your monthly paycheck may run afoul of wage garnishment limits set by the Federal government. 

Whatever you do follow the order.  If they sue stating you aren't following the order, you will win if you really are. 


Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.