I lost my job and I am not able to pay a court-ordered restitution payment for theft. PO and Atty are no help. What recourse do I have?

I cannot find a decent job because I cannot pass background checks and I have 2 young children to take care of.

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  Unfortunately, this predictament is what happens when you violate the law and are caught.  There not a whole lot you can do.  Usually, i advise people in your shoes to file an application for expungement.  This erased the criminal charges off your record so that employers do not see it when they run your record.  Ask your atty about filing this application.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.