What to do if I lost custody of my 2 boys and now their father is abusing them?

I couldn’t afford an attorney. Now my ex isn’t letting me see my kids. My boys age 12 and 15 want to live with me. They are being physically and mentally abused like I was. I have called DSS and got no where even sent them texts I got from my 15 year old about his dad punching him and threatening to shoot him. He tells the boys he hates them. Is there any funding or help I have to save them before it’s to late?

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Family Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you contact your local Child Protective Services (CPS) and report the alleged abuse of your children to that organization. Since you cannot afford legal counsel, I suggest that you contact your local legal aid clinic or county bar association to see if they have a program to assist someone in your situation gratis with legal assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.