If I lost at trial to a road association which is claiming claiming legal fees in the amount of $78,000, can I file bankruptcy and get out of this?

I am retired and on a fixed income.

Asked on January 31, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unless the judgment against you is for an intentional tort as opposed to breach of contract or negligence, then under federal bankruptcy laws you should be able to discharge the judgment that you have written about that is against you. I suggest that you immediately consult with a bankruptcy attorney to discuss your legal options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.