If I lost a home in a divorce but wasn’t able to get my name off the loan and my ex-wife is now short selling the house, is there any way to protect my credit?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would speak with a lawyer in the matter and hire him or her to step in and to make sure that your rights are proteced.  Is the deficiency waived here because that is a must to make sure that they do not come after you.  And you can try and negotiate the issue but since the mortgage company was not part of your divorce action they really are not bound by the terms.  Is it possible for you to step in and make things right?  Speak about that.  But I am sure your credit has already been tarnished.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.