Whatis my right to recover money thatI lent a friend?

I loaned a friend $30,000 to start a small business. Now the business is failing and he can’t pay me. He only owns a liquor license and a few fixtures in his store; he doesn’t own the building and owes landlord money as well.

Asked on December 6, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Did you do anything "official" when you lent the friend the money like have him sign a loan agreement and a note?  Anything at all to sue on and to obtain a judgement to collect upon?  If yes, then that is what you need to do: sue him based upon the note.  If not, then I would suggest that you seek help from an attorney in your area in order to try and establish the loan otherwise with the proof you may have.  Once a judgement is obtained you can levy on personal property, garnish salary (not here though, right?), etc.  The liquor license is not transferable I am sure.  Seek help.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.