If I live with my mom but I would like to live with my father however he’s about to go overseas, am I allowed to live with my cousin who’s his power of attorney?

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are a minor and need to stay with an adult while your father is overseas, you need to have a custodial agreement prepared by an attorney dated and signed by your parents if that is what you wish. However, to allow you to stay with your cousin legally, the agreement needs to be signed by both of your parents. If both parents refuse to sign the suggested document, then you apparently end up staying with your mother.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.