If I am looking to start an domestic LLC, do I have to register as a foreign LLC in the state that borders mine?

I am starting a business that does not require office space, and we will be selling a service on location.

Asked on November 20, 2014 under Business Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You only have to register as a foreign corporation if you have operations in or conduct business in the other state. That means more than just having customers from the other state: it means specifically advertising in or targeting that state and its residents; have a sales rep or branch office there; performing work in the other state;  etc. If people from the other state cross the border to your state to buy your goods or services, that does not require registeration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.