Do I need to keep up contact with my parents in order to receive an inheritance under my grandfather’s Will or is the executor required to find me and get me the funds regardless of my relationship with the family?

I still keep in contact with my grandfather but am finding it might be necessary to cut off contact with my parents as they are abusive. And will I be required to travel to his state to access the inheritance and put myself in harms way by seeing my parents?

Asked on February 9, 2013 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You don't necessarily have to keep in contact with your parents, but someone associated with the estate will need to know how to contact you in the event that your grandfather does pass away.  Instead of keeping up with your parents, maybe you can discuss with your grandfather a way for you to stay in touch with the executor. 

As far as traveling back to the state to retrieve an inheritance-- this will depend on what the inheritance is and the funds available to the executor to get that gift to you. If the inheritance is a check, then they can just mail that to you as long as you are not concerned about it getting lost in the mail.  If the gift is large, like an antique car, you will probably have to make arrangements for the delivery of the car.  You can take a friend or arrange a service to bring it to you.  You can pick the method which fits your comfort level with your family situation. Absent specific delivery instructions set out in the will, the only obligation of the executor is to give it to you when you come to claim it... not necessarily to pay out of their pocket the delivery expenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.