Can I be held legally responsible for my husband’s debt?

My husband wrote a check but he was not able to pay the whole amount off because he got laid off. I did not know anything about it until it went to collections; I now have someone calling and threatning to take us to court. I explained I did not know about it and did not sign any papers. The account it was drawn on was only in my husband’s; my name was not on the account. He said that I am responsible for it to and that they can come after me also. Is this true or is he lying to try to get the money? I am the only one working because my husband’s company closed down.

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country a spouse under each state's marital laws if jountly responsible for the obligations of the other spouse incurred during the marriage. As such, by you being married to your spouse who incurred the debt you are writing about, your share of marital assets are fair game to pay off this debt.

I suggest that you consult further with an attorney that practices law in the consumer law realm.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.