What legal recourse do I have to see my late mother’s Will or ensure that my father is acting appropriately to the position of an executor?

My mother passed away about 6 months ago. My father is the assigned executor of her estate. Before my mother’s passing however, she expressed her wish that I inherit her jewelry and some other miscellaneous items. I have tried asking my father about whether anything was left to me in her Will and, if so, why he has yet to honor it. He refuses to answer my questions, allow me to see the Will or tell me the lawyer’s name who handled her legal affairs.

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


John Ducey / Law Offices of John G. Ducey,PC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your father is required to give you a copy of your mother's will.  If he does not, you can file an action in court to force him to give you a copy and to remove him as executor.


John Ducey


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.