If my employer has been scheduling me to work 12 plus hour days with only a total of 4 days off over the past 6 months, is it illegal to make we work like this?

I work as a direct care staff/supervisor paid hourly. My job is one that I am on my feet most of the time and a lot of lifting of clients. I needed to seek medical attention due to straining my arm, as well as developing a fallen arch in my foot. I went to the doctor and was told that I need to be on restrictions of at maximum only on my feet for an hour and needing to sit for at least 10 minutes. My supervisor told me that I had to work the shift tonight and could sit down if need be.

Asked on November 11, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not illegal to make you work 12 hour-plus days and to work around 176 out of 180 days. Employers have complete discretion over employee shifts and hours and can require employees to work 24/7/365 if they chose--subject only to having to pay hourly employees for all hours worked, and non-exempt (which means not exempt from overtime) employees overtime (time-and-a-half) for all hours past 40. (Note: some salaried employees are non-exempt; all hourly employees are non-exempt.) So unfortunately, yes; it is legal to make  you work like this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.