If I go to court for a small theft charge, would there be any way I could request a lesser charge or is this something I can get expunged from my record later on?

I’m 18 and wanted to know what a likely fine would be or if it was possible to make a deal that did not require a fine?

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have been charged with a criminal defense of theft, you need to retain a criminal defense attorney to protect your interests. As you are probably aware a conviction as to what you are charged with could result in a fine, jail, court supervised courses and worse yet, a permanent criminal record.

There is a possibility that you could receive some type of court probation where if successful, the charge against you could be dismissed. There is always the possibility that any conviction for your crime could be expunged later on.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.