If I couldn’t afford to keep paying my lawyer and don’t know if he is going to appear at court in 3 days, can I still be sentenced without counsel being present?

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your lawyer remains the attorney of record and is required to appear in court until the judge relieves him.  That being said, just because the case is close to being over you are also required to maintain your side of teh contract.  Your attorney has lived up to his end of the bargain by working out a plea bargain that was acceptable to you, you should live up to your end of the contract and find a way to pay for the services as promised. 

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your lawyer must appear in court at the upcoming hearing despite your inability to pay him or her unless the attorney has received an order from the court allowing him or her to withdraw as your attorney of record. If he or she does not show, you could be sentenced by the court for your conviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.