What are a tenant’s rights to have overnight guests?

I’m a landlord and have a house with a very tight lease. In my lease I state that non-lease holders are trespassers. My tenant has overnight guests regularly but the police officer told me that she has the right to visitors as long as there is no mailing address in their name. She also slams doors and damages them in the process which is vandalism. I heard, if you signed the lease, you agree’d to the terms of it. I am a live-in landlord; I don’t know if that changes anything

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Rhode Island


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The police officer is wrong: as a general proposition, a lease may legally restrict or prevent all overnight guests. While you may wish to have an attorney review the specific language of your lease and the situation to see if, in fact, the tenant is violating the lease, if the lease clearly prevents guests, then she would seem to be. In that event, you could provide her with a notice to cease violating this lease provision; if she continues to do so after notice, you could provide a second notice to quit, terminating her tenancy, then evict her if she does not leave. In addition, if she willfully or grossly negligently (more than merely carelessly) damages your property, you could evict her on that ground, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.