What to do if m my neighbor wants me to remove my 25 year old pine trees, because the needles are falling into his pool?

About a year ago I had all the trees topped and thinned, along with the branches hanging over his side of the fence taken off. He says that it’s my responsibility to take care of the needles falling in to his pool from my property and he’s going to sue me if I don’t either pay for his pool service or remove my trees. I topped and thinned the trees dramatically so as to not have a problem, but this doesn’t seem to be enough for him. The trees are gorgeous and healthy and I don’t want to take them down. Does he have a case?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country you owe no legal duty to remove the pine trees that are shedding needles into your neighbor's pool. Under the laws of all states in this country the natural vegetation on one's property that may result in some inconvenience to a neighbor does not under the eys of the law a claim for the vegetation's removal by the property owner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.