If my boyfriend was arrested for DV after he pushed me down during an argument and now I’ve been subpoenaed to testify, if I don’t go will they drop the charges?

My boyfriend was arrested for domestic violence after he pushed me down during an argument. I called the prosecutor to have the charges dropped but the state picked them up. Now, I have a subpoena to go to court and testify against my boyfriend. How can I best stop these charges from proceeding?

Asked on December 4, 2015 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Not necesarily. Whether or not to pursue such a case rests with the prosecutor not the victim (as you have already found out). And a DV case can move forwrd even with out the victim's cooperation as long as there is other evidence strong enough to potentially support a guilty verdict. So your not showing up does not guarantee that the case will be be dismissed.
Further, a subpoena is a court order that requires your appearance. If you ignore it, you can be held in contempt and a warrant can be issued for your arrest. You can also face fines and/or time in jail.
At this point, you can consult directly with a local criminal law attorney; they can best advise you further in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.