If I pay a neighbor to shovel snow for me, am I liable if he is injured?

He does not have a business; he just does odd jobs.

Asked on September 16, 2014 under Personal Injury, Ohio


Michael Jacobs / McGowan & Jacobs, LLC

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

See the answer posted on 9/21 by SIZ regarding liability issues; however, if you have a homeowner's policy of insurance, you might consider putting your insurer on notice if a claim has been made as most policies require "prompt notice" of a claim. Additionally, some policies provide medical payments coverage for anyone injured on the property (up to a certain limit) regardless of fault.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You would only be liable if you did something which either intentionally or negligently contributed to his injury. For example: say that there was a large pothole in your driveway, which you were aware of but which the shoveler could not see (because it was covered by snow); if you failed to warn him and he turned his ankle in it, you could be liable. However, unless you do something wrong to contribute to or cause the injury, you should not be liable; liability depends on fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.