I live in ny, my moth had no will andit is only my sister and I. She only had a house. Do I have to file letters of administration with thee Surrogates court?

Her house value is about 200k. Her other possessions were just household
items. I am not sure if I have to go through a lengthy process filing
letters of administration or if there is a simpler way since her estate is
not complicated. Thank you, Dan

Asked on May 12, 2016 under Estate Planning, New York


G.J., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In NY, you do have the option to do a simplified small estate probate procedure. Call your local Surrogate Court to find out whether your mother's estate is qualified for the shortcut. Every state has a different requirement and monatary value. If your mother's estate does not qualify, you will have to file the letters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.