If my emotional support animal is a pit bull and registered in the state, can I be denied an apartment because of her breed?

Asked on February 6, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you can show a doctor's diagnosis, etc. showing that you have a need for an emotional support animal and this dog is registered as one, then you can't be denied an apartment. However, if an emotional support or other service dog attacks other tenants and barks too much, disturbing them, you could be required to remove her or else be evicted: the right to an emotional support animal does not permit the disturbance of other tenants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.