If I’m the transferee of a fraudulent transfer of my mom’s home, am I responsible for her debt?

My mother transferred her house to me 2 years ago in order to exempt it from Medicaid because I lived in it for 2 years to provide care. Her creditors are suing claiming fraudulent conveyance. Would the court just void the transfer if judgement is rendered or would a judgement go against me personally? If it’s not my debt, would I become responsible as judgement debtor being the transferee? Would they just attach the home or could they attach my wages and bank accounts? How will all this affect my credit? If it’s not my debt, is voiding the transfer all they can do since I did not default on a debt?

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

And you are named in the suit becuase tyou name is on the deed, correct?  Please speak with an attorney about putting in an Answer to the Complaint and speak with him or her about a defense.  If they are just ssuig to set aside the conveyance then why are they trying to obtain a judgement?  Are they suing for her care?  If the house is sold that would pay for it.  Please seek help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.