What to do if I have a warrant for my arrest for a Class A misdemeanor and the people I live with are being denied assistance from the state because of it?

The warrant was issued in another state. If I wasn’t included in on their case, can they be denied because of my warrant? I have no intentions on ever going back to the state in which it was issued. I do not know how to take care of the warrant.

Asked on October 16, 2013 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You will need to turn yourself in and before you do, speak with an attorney about helping you do this and working with the prosecutor's office to get this matter resolved. Assistance wouldn't necessarily be denied because you are not going to be the applicant or recipient. You need to take care of this matter and let the others apply for assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.