If I moved in with my boyfriend over a year ago and pay 1/2 of his house payment and 1/2 of the utilities, what are my rights?

We now live as roommates; he is trying to kick me out.

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  You need to establish yourself as a tenant here in order to be able to have the rights of a tenant.  I think that you will be able to do so.  The problem is that you have no written lease.  So you are a month to month tenant.  He can evict you because of same with a properly served 30 day notice.  Decide if this is worth the trouble.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.