What to do if entered into a default judgment with the understanding that I needed to make monthly payments of any amount but today I recieved an order to seize property and they took my car?

Regarding my re-payments, the other lawyer did not enter a dollar amount in. I have been making payments each month for the last 4 months as we agreed to. now on the form left it only shows one payment made. What should I do? Can I get my car back? I do have reciepts to prove I have been making the payments.

Asked on January 19, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about you need to first call the attorney for the plaintiff about the apparent mistake made on the settlement agreement and send him or her copies of all payments that you have made per the agreement in an attempt to remedy the problem.

If the problem is not remedied to your satisfaction in the next week or so, you need to consult with a consumer law attorney to assist you in clearing up the problem where a motion to the court to address the problem may be your recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.