If I was convicted of a felony for simple theft at age 18 and received a first-time offender pardon, can I have it expunged from my record?

Asked on September 20, 2014 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do now isi to google the word "expungment" and the name of your state. You'll find that virtually all states have websites that contain information regarding eligibility requirements for getting an expungemet (and the steps for doing so if one can be obtained). If you still have questions, you can contact a criminal law attorney in your area for further help.

Note: If you were convicted of a federal offense, an expungment will not be available to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.