If last year I evicted a former tenant who caused about $3,000 in property damage and owes about $3,000 in back rent, can I still sue him or is it too late?

I evicted him a year ago yesterday.

Asked on February 2, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are still in time to sue. Suits against tenants are considered suits based on breach of contract, since a lease (whether written or oral) is a contract. In your state, the statute of limitations, or time within which to sue, for either oral or written contracts is 10 years, so you are still well within time.
However, a point to consider: it's one thing if he didn't pay because he didn't want to (basically, he's a freeloader or criminal), but had the money to pay; but if he didn't pay because he didn't have the money (e.g. unemployed or only marginally employed; and/or has significant other non-optional expenses, like big medical costs, alimony, or child support), then unless you think his financial situation has drastically improved, there's probably no point to suing--you could sue him (spending time and money on the lawsuit), win, and still be unable to collect, since you can only get paid if he has something to pay you with.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.