Can I take legel action against a man who has sexted with my wife?

Recently I discovered an old friend of my wife has been texting/sexting her, including sending naked pictures. She has also done the same back. I have copies of all text and pics. Her phone is in my name. I have forgiven her somewhat but I want to know if there is any legal action I can take against this guy?

Asked on September 26, 2015 under Family Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot take legal action against the man with whom your wife was sexting your state Louisiana does not allow a lawsuit or legal action what is commonly called "alienation of affection," or taking the affection of or contributing to the infidelity of a spouse. This is not something you can sue over in your state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.