What to do if the apartment complex that I live in has had a rise in crime over the last 6 months?

The car next to mine in the carports was stolen, in 1 week alone there were 5 apartments broken into, my neighbor’s being one of them. The complex has not sent out any form of communication letting the tenants know what is going on. My question is whether or not I can legally break my lease to move somewhere I feel safer.

Asked on January 14, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon the facts of your question due to an increase in crime in the apartment complex where you reside in and whether you can legally terminate your lease without any legal recourse with respect to your landlord, you need to carefully read the presumed written lease that you have.

If there is no language in the document allowing you to do what you desire without recourse, then you cannot. I suggest you write the property manager a note demanding stepped up security where you reside keeping a copy of such for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.