What to do about a first-time DUI out of state?

I am 19 years old. I got charged with a DUI out of state. I was staying the night at a friend’s house. We did have a few beers. A few of us were just hanging out and some guys I didn’t know just walked in. One of them pulled a gun and started shooting. My first reaction was to get out of there. The police came and were pulling cars over looking for the guy. The officer said he smelled alcohol so tested me. I was a 0.9. I had planned on staying all night and not driving. Fearing I’d get shot I drove 1st time ever. I don’t know what to do or go from here.

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Criminal Law, Iowa


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

 Now, immediately hire an attorney to help you build a case that shows you were essentially attempting to defend yourself by fleeing the area since the shooting was occurring. You need a lawyer to get all the evidence together, interview witnesses, get police reports of your arrest, the other arrests and shooting and then work with the prosecutor to see if the circumstances give you enough to have the charges dismissed. The prosecutor will look to see if your case would make the jury feel sorry for you since the theory would be that you were not planning on driving when you initially began drinking. If this is your first offense (DUI or otherwise), you need a lawyer to help you with either dismissed charges or plea out. If the charges are dismissed, then basically you will next need to seek an expungement of your records and arrest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.